Dealing with MoldsAfter a Flood or Severe Leaks

It is an imperative that one should act immediately on water damage restoration after being ravaged by a flood or major leaks in the house. This will not only make your livingenvironment more comfortable, but it will also reduce the risk of being infested with molds. Mold if left unnoticed for an extended period will surely have ill effects towards your health and your family. That is why quick response after a water destruction incident is necessary. In the following outline below, are some of the essential tips to counter or prevent further manifestation of molds in your house:

Act Quickly to Beat Mold After a Flood

water2

Getting Started

Start hauling wet things, especially plush items like pillows, upholstered furniture, or curtains out of the house to a place like the garage or the driveway where they can dry. “They are going to be the more challenging things to salvage,” Morley says.

Use a shop vac or wet vac to suck water out of soggy carpets.

Fans can help get air moving in enclosed spaces, but they may not be enough.

Consider renting or buying a dehumidifier to keep moisture levels low in the air in rooms you’re trying to dry. Basements and big areas may require larger, commercial-sized machines. “You want to get as much air movement as possible over the wet areas,” says Arthur Lau, a certified microbial investigator for Microecologies, a national restoration and cleanup company.

After Mold Starts Growing

If the power has been off for a few days, mold may have already gotten the upper hand by the time you’re really able to start cleaning. Both the CDC and the EPA recommend bringing in a trained professional to clean up mold that covers more than 100 square feet or a 10-foot-by-10-foot area. Some states require contractors that clean up mold to be licensed. At the minimum, anyone you hire should have experience getting rid of mold, references you can call, and liability insurance.

If you’re cleaning a smaller area, you can wash mold off most hard surfaces with a mixture of detergent and hot water. The EPA doesn’t recommend using chlorine bleach or other biocides — chemicals that kill living organisms — to clean up mold unless there are special circumstances, such as a person living in the home who has a weakened immune function.

If you prefer to use bleach to clean up mold, the CDC recommends mixing a solution of no more than one cup of bleach for every gallon of water. And be careful not to mix it with ammonia or cleaners that contain ammonia. Source…

If your efforts are seemed to be futile, and molds are still appearing from time to time, it would be wise to let experts check your surroundings. Even after you have done your own water damage restoration procedure, experts can still improve the situation of your property. You might have missed the minor and yet important detail of the restoration, which experts alone knows how to perform.

Basement Molds Health Impacts

One known result of water damages aside from the damage to property or appliances in the house is the possible entry of molds. Molds are not just disgusting to look at, but to a greater extent can be dangerous to you and your family. Many diseases have been attributed to molds, which is why preventing molds from propagating inside your home is essential. In the following article below, are some of the most know health effects of molds infestation in your property:

What Are the Dangers of Mold in a Basement?

water1

Respiratory Conditions

Prolonged exposure to indoor molds such as those found in a basement may lead to upper respiratory tract infections such as coughs, wheezing and asthma symptoms. If you’re experiencing hay fever-like symptoms, or have been diagnosed with chronic obstructive pulmonary disorder, also known as COPD, or any type of asthma, you may be at an increased risk for symptoms and infections caused by exposure to molds, according to the CDC.

Fungal Infection

Individuals diagnosed with immune-deficiency conditions such as AIDS, or those recuperating from cancer treatments may be more susceptible to fungal infections than healthy persons. Spores from molds inside a basement are inhaled or absorbed through the skin, according to the Merck Manuals Online Medical Library. Most fungal infections originate on the skin or inside the lungs but are not usually contagious from person to person. Those with catheters, artificial joints and heart replacement valves may be at a higher risk of symptoms and illness due to fungal infection.

Cold-Flu Symptoms

A person exposed to mold spores originating from a basement may experience cold or flu-like symptoms that may include a stuffy nose, skin irritations, shortness of breath and eye irritation. You should be aware that infants and the elderly are especially susceptible to such symptoms, and take steps to eradicate the mold growth, suggests the Federal Emergency Management Agency, more commonly known as FEMA.

Pulmonary Hemosiderosis

Some basement mold may be more toxic than others, including black molds, according to Better Health USA. Individuals who have been exposed to such molds may develop a rare lung disease called pulmonary hemosiderosis, which is a type of lung disorder that may cause bleeding in the lungs, according to PulmonaryHemosiderosis.com. The bleeding is caused by an accumulation of iron in the blood that may cause symptoms of anemia and even lung damage, kidney damage and connective tissue damage, depending on the type of hemosiderosis that is diagnosed. Source…

In the event that you are exhibiting some symptoms of the said health dangers, it would be best to consult a specialist for a check-up. Apart from checking your health, it would also be good to let water damage Restoration Company to check your home to alleviate the situation of molds and possible occurrence of flooding and leaks.

Basement Flooding and Molds Prevention

Basement flood would suggest a greater volume of water in the basement. And if such amount of water is improperly drained and cleaned, greater are the chances that molds would infest the place. Molds are surely alarming to have in the house. Aside from they are not good to look at, they may also lead to some health issues, which is why outlined below are some tips on how to prevent molds infestation in your flooded basement:

7 Steps to Prevent Mold After a Basement Flood

water1

Turn off the electricity. Water, electricity, and human skin do not play nice together, please steer clear and turn off the electricity to your home before proceeding into the basement. Since it will be dark down there, you’ll want to have a high powered battery operated flashlight. New LED versions give you ample lumens and are priced affordably.

Pump the water out of your basement. Using a gas-powered water pump, pump the high water out of your basement. The water pump will probably leave a little standing water on your floor, but will allow you to get back into your basement. You can then try to fix your sump pump and have it pump the remainder of the water out or you can use a wet/dry vac to pump the water out. Remember to remove your vac’s filter if it has one as it’s not made to get wet and will be ruined by the water.

Remove all your wet items. This is painful, but necessary. Move everything out of your basement to a dry location. Your garage or even your driveway to dry out will work out best. You’ll want to clear up ample space for the next few steps. Recruit help from friends and family for this step as you’ll be moving furniture and/or loads of boxes; either way you’ll probably have a lot to carry and help will get the job done quicker (you only have 48 hours).

Clean the walls and floor. Use warm soapy water and clean the walls and floors, be sure to give them a good scrub down to remove any dirt and grime. If you have soaking wet carpet, you’ll want to pull it up and let it dry separate by moving it in the garage or outside. You’ll also need to pull up the padding as well, since acts like a huge sponge and holds a lot of water. Create a tent with the carpets and pads to help air travel over both sides.

Get the air moving and remove excess moisture. Once all the water is removed from the basement you’ll need to get some airflow moving to remove the excess moisture. Industrial blowers work the quickest, but if you are tight on money, then you can use fans, but they need to be powerful and close to the floor. You’ll also want to get a dehumidifier working to wick the excess moisture from the air. Be sure to change your dehumidifier pan regularly, as a flooded basement will create a lot of air moisture and the pan will fill quickly. Source…

Regardless of your effort, there would still be some residue left for molds to propagate. And for such reason, the need of expert water damage Restoration Company is essential for avoiding molds.